Arch/Manjaro Update Fails Downloading nitrux-icon-theme_3.5.3.tar.gz
I really hope this didn’t stump any of you. It’s okay, if it did, you probably didn’t use the console and therefor probably didn’t see what actually failed. So, the link to the package, nitrux-icon-theme_3.5.3.tar.gz, is dead. Which makes it kind of hard for the PKGBUILD script to download it, build it and install it.
Locating the missing source for nitrux-icon-theme on the AUR
And, if you run a quick
pacman -Qi nitrux-icon-theme you quickly see there’s supposed to be a nitrux website at https://nitrux.in/. But, trying to go there, you can see they closed their doors. The project forked into two projects now known as NX Desktop and Nitrux OS.
I’m probably wrong (according to my girlfriend, I am always wrong), but since the launchpad.net team references the Nitrux OS domain, and it was the last source in the PKGBUILD in the AUR, I kind of assume it was the more “official” source (at least as far as following the package maintainer’s intent). Looking quickly at their website, we get sent off to trusty old GitHub where the repository is now Archived (this means, no longer supported).
Quick patching the PKGBUILD file for missing source nitrux-icon-theme
There’s a chance here the AUR package maintainer has noticed this and simply wants the package to die. He’s not responded to quite a few comments on the AUR as well. Anywho, here’s the fix:
- Grab the latest release from GitHub: https://github.com/Nitrux/nitrux-icon-theme/archive/3.5.4.tar.gz
- run md5sum on the gunzipped tarball
- rerun pacman with –editmenu so it asks if you want to edit the PKGBUILD file
- Select any option that allows you to edit the PKGBUILD file (for me, using yay this was [A]
- Update the source field with the latest available release
- Update the md5sum field with the m5sum command’s output
- Write and exit the PKGBUILD file
- Continue the installation
ERROR: Failure while downloading nitrux-icon-theme – Fixed! Quickly!
yay --editmenu -Syyu nitrux-icon-theme
Check out other random fixes on Gray Hat Freelancing.